Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Transitioning from Puppy Food to Adult Dog Food

Sidney will be 3 years old in September and we are still feeding him the same Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Food.  It is 1 cup of dry dog food soaked in about 2 cups of water and blended (3 times a day).  We do add a squirt of Salmon Oil to the first two meals as well.  He still sits in his Bailey Chair for 30 minutes after eating.  That amount of time works, so I do not anticipate that changing.

I know you are supposed to change over to Adult Dog Food at around age 1 or 2 (depending on the dog etc.).  However, we have been hesitant to change anything in his diet because we don't want to tempt fate.  As we all know - with Megaesophagus, once you find the right food, routine and consistency - you tend to stick with it.  But I know for Sidney's overall long-term health, I should probably transition him to the Adult Dog Food.  We really don't want to just feed him Puppy Food forever because he has Megaesophagus and ignore the needs of the rest of his needs.  At least that's how we see it.  I assume there is Puppy Formula and Adult Formula for a pretty good reason.  Plus, we thought a breed specific formula would make sense.

So the plan is to start mixing Eukanuba Labrador Retriever Formula with his Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Formula.  I'm hoping since they are both the same brand, that this will make it easier on his digestion.   The Eukanuba brand has worked great for us - so I will always stick with that.  The Adult Formula Dog Food looks and smells the same (no I didn't taste it).  So we are slowly mixing the food together.  I figure, because we are always cautious with Sid, we will probably keep the mixing transition for a month or more.  We are starting with 90% Puppy Food and 10% Adult Food and will slowly adjust the percentage over time, with the ultimate goal to phase out the Puppy Food and be 100% Adult Dog Food.  So far we have been doing it for a week and it hasn't had any adverse affects or increased regurgitation or anything.

So far so good!

9 comments:

  1. That's a great way to start! Good luck in that, I believe everything will be perfect with the same brand food and with that slow transition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work! Sidney seems very happy and loved xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - we are completely on adult food now!! Seems to be staying down well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww so happy that your puppy is on adult food! He's such a cutie!I found a great site with more info on Megaesophagus it helped me a lot, I hope it helps you too! http://www.findavet.us/2012/07/how-to-treat-dogs-enlarged-esophagus/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so thrilled to have found your site. We have a 4 year-old Rat Terrier recently diagnosed with mega E. She had been throwing up for days. I thought it was just something she got into! We took her to the vet and she had a barium swallow, xrays and blood tests. Her esophagus was huge. On top of this her little head was starting to have dents - a sign of myasthenia gravis. Now about a month later she is on soft dog food for GI upset and upright feedings. She is now playing with her two siblings and toys for the first time in a long while. The cost of her dog food is a killer (Science Hill Prescriotion I D.) and hopefully I can concoct something less costly. Our little Nola Is everything to us and I'll specially prepare her food if I have to. Thanks for sharing information with us. It makes me feel better knowing we are not alone! Jeannine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was finding this much difficult to put my pet dog from puppy food to adult dog food but after reading this the procedure have become so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quick question..when you say you mix the dry with water how long do you let it soak? And do you blend it in s mixer?
    Thanks for your time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What we do is let it soak about 30 minutes (we start soaking when we put him in his Bailey Chair for his Bethanechol Pill) - we use HOT water, which seems to work much better than cold or room temperature to soak the kibble. We have an Insta-Hot faucet on our sink. But really hot tap water or microwaving the water works just as well. We put a cup of food in the blender container - then add the 2 cups of water. Sometimes I will put the 1 cup of food in the blender container and 1 cup of HOT water in the container and put the lid on. This is if I am "pre-soaking" if I have the time - then add the second cup of water later.

      Then we blend it in a blender. We do 2 cups of water for the 1 cup of food. I test the temperature before Sidney eats it - it it seems too hot I use an ice cube and stir it in the food to cool it down.

      Hope that helps!

      Delete